The rule of thumb is that every dollar spent on preparedness saves $4 in recovery costs, according to a report by the National Institute of Building Sciences’ Mutihazard Mitigation Council. That’s $4 taxpayers won’t have to spend. Take a look back at the 10 most expensive disasters in U.S. history and what they cost us.
- Audio: How can we better prepare for tornadoes?
- Photos: Aftermath of massive tornado in Moore
- The Big One: Preparing for mid-America earthquake
- VIDEO: How sequestration could affect US flood warning system
- Warning Signs: Technology speeds disaster alerts, response
- VIDEO: High-tech storm prediction center warns residents of tornadoes
- Saturday, May 11, 2013
- VIDEO: Misconceptions about predicting tornadoes
- Thursday, May 9, 2013
- VIDEO: Take an inside look at storm prediction center
- Wednesday, May 8, 2013
- When the earth moves under our feet
- Tuesday, May 7, 2013
- When in a tornado, here's what not to do