hgazette.com, Haverhill, MA

News

December 26, 2013

Good Samaritan alerts family to house fire

House, most possessions destroyed in blaze spread from burning car

(Continued)

Good said everyone got out safely, as did her two dogs, one of whom is disabled and had to be carried out. She said her mother lost a pair of hearing aids, and she lost a 32-inch flat screen television her boyfriend gave her for her birthday in October. She said she also lost four “happy” goldfish while her son Andrew lost several tropical fish.

Also lost was a cradle, one of Robyn Good’s few reminders of her first child, Robie, who died at seven months of age of SIDS, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

“It’s all gone, but everyone is safe and that’s the important thing,” she said.

She said her father was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, and that he was subsequently released and was doing fine.

Deputy Brown said the fire was reported at 7:06 a.m. and was the result of a mini-van that somehow caught on fire and was parked under a car port at the right side of the home. Lancaster Street is narrow street that connects Hale Street and Primrose Street, and is just a few blocks north of Winter Street.

National Grid had to shut off the power to the home, which also affected a neighbor’s home.

Robyn Good’s mother, Donna Good said she lives at 23 Lancaster St. with her husband Robert Good.

She said it was her 2003 Ford Windstar that somehow caught fire, and that it was parked in front of her husband’s Ford Econline Van, which was also destroyed by fire.

“We were all still asleep when a man began banging on our doors,” Donna Good said. “He woke up my husband, who woke me up.”

“The man saved our lives,” Donna Good added.

“It was scary as the fire moved really fast,” Robyn Good said. “Because of Bob Maglio, we were able to get out quickly.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
News

Photos of the Week
Stocks